Dovey Yacht Club (DYC) are committed to encouraging as many young people as possible to start sailing. We have a large number of club boats that junior members can use, and, new for 2012, are providing in-house coaching to beginner sailors. We have a strong junior fleet, a large proportion of whom regularly participate in club races, and some that have been very successful at a national level.
Key Youth Sailing Events
- Beginners Dinghy Sailing Course Juniors aged 9 or over are invited to participate in a three day beginners sailing course,to be held during the Whitsun half term holidays. Contact the Sailing Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Please note that this course is extremely popular and there are limited places available.
- Race Coaching DYC has organised two weekends of race coaching for both junior and adult members. This all-weekend coaching will include theory sessions in the classroom, as well as on-the-water practical experience, culminating in video-led feedback sessions. In order to participate members must be able to sail a triangular course.
- Junior Handicap Races There are Junior handicap races held throughout the season and many trophies to be won (e.g. the WJB Shaw Trophy and the Hulton Trophy)
- Topper Open New for 2012, the Topper Open will provide valuable race practise for our junior sailors; ensure that visiting sailors have acquainted themselves with the Dovey Estuary and allow anyone allocated a club boat to become accustomed to its foibles before Topper Week.
- Topper Week Held in August,Topper Week is the most popular junior event on the racing calendar. Open to sailors of all abilities, Topper Week introduces very inexperienced sailors to racing, while still providing our junior sailing "veterans" with some great competitive sailing.
Our junior sailors are very friendly and are always ready to give help and advice to new members, so come along and join in the fun!